MY AFTER-THERAPY CARE PLAN
You’ve just completed your therapy session. Now is a wonderful opportunity to give yourself extra grace and compassion by gently accepting who you are in this moment. You are taking steps to improve your emotional wellness, so please be kind to yourself as you learn and grow.
After a therapy session, you may experience tiredness, intensity in emotions, or find it hard to “settle your thoughts or body.” This is not uncommon as you have just used a great amount of mental energy during your session.
Here are some tools to use to support a return to a calm state following your session:
- Sit and breathe – take a slow deep inhale, then slowly exhale (1-2 minutes)
- Notice how you body feels; gently release any tension throughout the body
- Notice what you are feeling without judging the feeling
Journal any emotion or experience to discuss during your next session
- Journal prompts: new thoughts/feelings, new body sensations, new dreams centered on what you’ve shared, are things getting better/worse
- Journal methods: pen and paper, voice journal, text journal, music, or art
- Change the scenery by leaving the room where you completed your session.
- Go outside for fresh air (and sunshine – depending on what the Texas weather gives us
- Gentle stretches or a body scan
- If possible, try not to rush into another appointment or event for at least 5-10 minutes. Allow your mind and body to de-stress after your session.
- Let someone in your support system know that you’ve had a session. You may experience an increase in strong emotions following your session. Having trusted support available will allow you the opportunity to share what you’re feeling.
If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, please dial 911 for immediate support. If you’re not in immediate danger but would still like someone to talk to outside of our regular business hours, you can dial 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for the crisis center or you can also text HOME to 741741.